– Hello! It’s Heads and Tails. Wonders of the World. New season! – We flew to Tunisia to see our new wonder – the Sahara desert. – Let’s toss it. – Heads.
– Tails. – Yes! I definitely like the start of the season! A good beginning makes the whole season good. Take it. It’s yours for the whole season. Imagine if Brad Pitt comes here all of a sudden. What car will he rent, provided that it takes him to the desert? Done? Believe me, even if you are Brad Pitt and you have millions of dollars, it’s impossible to rent something better than a 2006 Toyota Prado! Well, on the other hand, there is four-wheel drive, air conditioning, it moves faster than a camel – there is a driver. That suits me. To the desert, please. To the left barchan, the third from the dunes. We flew to Tozeur – a popular city for those who want to see the Sahara. There is no public transport here, thus all tourists get to the center by taxi for $ 5. If you walk from the airport for about 15 minutes, then you will be able to catch a taxi twice cheaper. And if you give a broad grin – you can even catch a ride. And get to the city for free! – How much does it cost? – No money needed. It’s for free. – Really? Thanks! Well, I’ve already cut corners on a taxi.
Thanks. Sahara is located in 11 countries, namely: Algeria, Egypt, Mauritania, Male, Nigeria, Morocco, Sudan, Chad, Tunisia and the disputed territories of Western Sahara. It just seems that the choice of countries for exploring the desert is great. In fact, there is civil war in Libya, the armed conflict in Mali and Sudan, in Niger, Chad and Mauritania – there is a high risk of been robbed or even kidnapped. And in Tunisia is quiet, peaceful and welcoming. Therefore, here you can see the wonder of the world, and return home safely. Sahara begins right outside the city. But this is not the desert from the beautiful photos – here it resembles a wasteland. Real Sahara – with its beautiful dunes and barchans – begins only two hours’ drive from the city. Therefore, only those who have money to rent SUV with a personal driver can get there. But I do not despair! Even a tourist with 100 dollars can spend an interesting weekend here. Oh, and here we are in the center, literally 2-3 minutes. – Is this the city center? – Yes.
– We get off here.
Thanks. The driver put me off in the very center of Tozeur. And what is in the center of any eastern city? That’s right – the market! Look, everything’s in a bustle here. Everything mixed up in a bunch here! Souvenir shops! Tangerines! Cars … Mopeds. Cats … Canaries … Horses … People … Mustached sellers! Local hipsters! And street magicians.
Good! Right on the street, I accidentally stumbled upon a wedding party. But this is not the wedding itself. The guys are grooving! It is very unexpected. – Is this a wedding?
– Nearly. This is a ritual that takes place the day before the wedding. See a colorful cocoon on a camel? It carries bride`s traditional wedding attire and gifts from friends and family of the groom. Maybe we’ll also have some free treatment at the wedding, Seryoga. Two hours later …. I got …. in the hot …. got in the hot arms of the Sahara! Moving during a sandstorm is very dangerous. Sand gets everywhere – especially in the eyes and then you can’t see anything. The power of sand storms is such that they easily move huge dunes for 20 meters a year, or even more! In two years, for example, everything will look completely different here. That is, it is both the most lifeless and the most living miracle in the world. These storms carry the Sahara sand all over the planet. It even brings up to 27 million tons of sand every year into the Amazon forests! By the way, there is so much of it here that it can cover the whole world with a 20 centimeter layer. It’s larger here. Tunisia is famous all over the world for its dates! This is the Sahara’s main food – real desert bread. They’re almost like little finger. No, he is not allowed. Okay, take one. Guys, everything we eat at home is not dates. How delicious, my goodness it’s very tasty. It just melts in the mouth, juicy, tasty, soft. Dates have always been the food of the coffle drivers – and saved them from hunger and thirst. And now this is a perfect choice for the poor – a cheap and nourishing snack! Well, I’ll probably take a bouquet. Of course, flies bother me, look how numerous they are. Thanks, bye! Sahara is a mysterious wonder of the world! Did you know that there was an ocean here millions of years ago? In support of this theory, in the Egyptian part of the Sahara was found a cemetery for the ancestors of modern whales who simply could not live on land. They became extinct 36 million years ago. Did you know that giant underground rivers and lakes are hiding under the Sahara! And the desert has … an eye! Eye of the Sahara is a 50-kilometer crater in Mauritania. This is either a trace of a meteorite, or the mouth of an extinct volcano, or this is the work of… aliens! Another attraction for the poor tourist is a walk around the Medina. This is the name of the old part of the city. Hello! How interesting it is to walk the streets that are more than 800 years old. And everything looks the same as before. In towns in the middle of the desert, everything is set up to survive in infernal heat. They say that the streets of Medina were designed so that there was a constant draft and the hot air was cooled. The streets are very narrow so that there is always a shadow. And there is a special lace of bricks on houses, the shadow of which prevents the walls from heating up. Walking around Medina, you can stumble upon a wall of desires. Well, here I am. There is a belief – if you make a wish and throw a date bone so that it gets stuck between the bricks – then your desire will come true. In fact, there are three attempts, but who counts these dates? Well, please, at least a smart handsome husband. We will not leave here; I have many plans for life. Well, here it is – my five-star hotel in the desert. There is no five-star hotels in the desert! Therefore, millionaires stop in the tent camp – Camp Mars and pay two thousand hryvnias per night. In order to make a luxury hotel in the desert you will need 45 white tents. Design bucket-washbasin. A place where to make fire to cook food. A big tent, same as a reception desk, same as a restaurant, same as a big tent, that’s all. – Hello! – Hello! – Oh, Russian! Anton.
– Ali. – Nice to meet you. – Do you speak Russian? Parle de français? Do you speak English? Italiano? sprechen Sie Deutsch? It is not so hard to build such a hotel in the desert at all! – For example, if I have 50 tents – can I go anywhere in the desert and open a hotel there? – Yes, sure. – And I do not need any permissions and documents? – No, no, nothing is needed.
– So, let’s do business together. Is this my presidential tent? A refrigerator, air conditioning, a shower, a minibar are just a small part of what will never be here. But what a huge bed. Listen, it’s very, very soft. Comfortable sofa. In fact, here is everything to create romantic atmosphere in the desert. Mmmm. It smells nothing. This amazing canopy gives the impression that the tent is very high and large. This is a real Suite – your own toilet room in the middle of the desert. In the presidential bathroom there is a toilet with sawdust! This is a litter tray, but vice versa. First you do what you need here and then fill it with sawdust. The main thing is not to confuse. A saucepan with a tap instead of a wash basin! Without water. It goes! And instead of a marble Jacuzzi – a bottle and a concrete basin pit! Those who had the hot water turned off at least once, I mean everyone, should now understand how it works. Here is the shower stall itself. Now I’ll try it. Practically. Hmm, they didn’t think through here. – Ali, show me how to do it. – Is it warm? Well then leave me a little bit. Thanks, Ali. Oh no, grouse. Sure, I wanted to meet a camel, but not like that. Why did you hang it out? Is it eatable? The head of a camel serves as a sign, which indicates that there is fresh camel meat. Well, a creepy advertisement, to be honest, a camel horror. Little eyelashes … mmm. Well, how can a woman come up and buy camel’s meat when there are so many dissected bodies hanging here. It seems wild to us, but for local people camel meat is an ordinary food, like beef tenderloin for us! I do not want to eat it! I wish I hadn’t seen it. Just look at the camel’s face, and then eat it, well, this is… nonsense… One peace for me. Using an unlimited card, you can turn the endless desert into your own restaurant. It all reminds me of a country house – the summer cottage of Scheherazade. And the menu is the same exquisite – Bedouin tea and roast gargulet. In Tunisia Garugulet is lamb with vegetables baked in a clay jar. By the way, cooking in a sealed jar is not for the sake of Michelin star and pathos. It all came from the Bedouins. Due to this tightness, you can save on firewood. Bedouin jar is easily turned into a pressure cooker. What a smell! Meat bought at the market can be cooked right in the middle of the street – on the grill. How much does it cost? 5 dinars? For two dollars, meat is simply thrown onto a hot grill. 10 minutes … and the camel steak is READY! Let’s try it. It is difficult to chew, it’s so sinewy. So tender, just like mutton peeling off the bone. Well, if you foist it on someone during a picnic, no one will understand that this is a camel. Here is no chance. Good meat, I didn’t even imagine. Of course, desert is not Disneyland and there are no attractions here. But for 250 bucks – the attraction will come to you itself! Meet my desert rocket – Yamaha 1000 R! This buggy is a light extreme machine that lugs along the dunes like a grasshopper. It is time to show this world the new king of the roads. Okay, what’s there? Ah, ok, we’ll do it slowly. Gas gas. Let’s make tracks! How much sand! Bravery and stupidity! I’m driving without hands! With power of thought only! Only in the desert you get a real thrill from driving. There is no holes, traffic lights, rules and police … Only you and a hefty sandbox where you can fly at any speed and to all possible directions!!! It was cool and not scary at all. Oh, here is my steaming tailbone in the sand. The Sahara Desert is a beautiful miracle, but rather boring. And even an unlimited card at some point becomes completely useless. But hit or miss! You can recall childhood – you will need: a high dune, a garbage bag and ta da … You can arrange an effective workout: a Sisyphus treadmill. You can finally go climbing. In the evening in Tozeur all the people gather in bars and restaurants. Tunisians sing there, dance and relax after a hot day. Cool! Oh, here goes the drum! Oh, dancing! Oh my god, too fast. It seems to me that a circle of men is not the best idea for night walks. Having danced until I drop, I went in search of an affordable overnight stop. And I found the Khalifa hotel near the Old City. Hello. Sure, it’s not that great in appearance, but it is a hotel, not a hostel. In the very center. – How much does it cost?
– 20 dinars. Is this really a hotel? He laughed, as if he would pay, not me. 20 dinars. Give me the key. Oh, I don’t really like here. Ok, let it be. It’s even worse than a hostel, guys. Probably in the history of my travels this is the creepiest place I`ve ever been to. Maybe there is at least a fabulous view from the window. Damn. A trellis, probably, not to escape from horror. God, what a nightmare. Oh, listen how cool, here is even a bidet. No way, of course, there is no bidet here – it’s terrible! And here is a new life in the toilet, something disgusting. I think there is even no water here. Well, there is water, but this does not change the situation. God, how creepy. Well, I need to sleep anyway. I’ll probably be in clothes. And sitting. Fall asleep faster – wake up faster. And don’t turn off the light. Beautiful! A night in the desert is a special miracle … You will not see this sitting in a city with a hundred dollars. There is no noise of cars and light of lanterns – but there is a shine of a billion stars! It`s beautiful, but cold. Unlike land, sand does not hold heat. Therefore, it is very hot in the desert in the morning and in the afternoon, but it is terribly cold at night. Incredibly beautiful! There seems to be a gloom and void around me. And infinity overhead. There is such beauty, and Alina is probably already asleep. Fall asleep faster – wake up faster, fall asleep faster – wake up faster. Early in the morning I decided to leave Tozeur and go to the neighboring town of Douz, which today hosts the grand Sahara Festival. This is the loudest holiday in the desert! Something like its birthday! You can get there by public transport called louage. Nice word. Ticket, please. You will have to get to the festival with transfers. First, for 2 and half dollars from Tozeur to the town of Kebili. There, transfer to another minibus, which takes you to the festival city of Douz just for a dollar. Excellent. A festival in the desert. It even sounds somehow poor. Oh yes, my unlimited card and I will not just watch, but participate in the desert festival! Is this a lake? I do not understand. Yes, a salt lake. So beautiful. Just Martian landscape. Sorry, can you stop here? Thanks a lot! Just salt crystals underfoot. This is another miracle of the Sahara – the salt lake of Chott el Djerid. The water comes here only three months a year. The rest of the time it is a flat surface, like a table, covered with salt crust. By the way, if you didn’t know, salt is slippery, like ice! So don’t do like me! Ordinary salt lake, but it brings so much admiration. It resembles the moon. As if you are walking in space – a very beautiful view. Many people know that star wars were filmed in the Sahara, but a few people know that there is one secret. A treasure with one hundred dollars is hidden in one of these sandy houses. In order to find it – head to the city of Tataouine. There, near the gray spaceship, in the house on the right, our treasure will be waiting for you. May a hundred dollars come to you. By noon, I arrived in the city of Douz. Hundreds of people have already gathered here at the city gates! Music, balloons, good mood. That means we are … Oh! Hello! So this means that the Sahara festival is already in full swing. A sea of people and one continuous fair! Men with party horns! Hunters with falcons! Camel drivers! Horsemen with horses! Cotton candy sellers. Masters of mehendi. On-the-spot camerawork. Local bloggers!
Bye! And everyone talks like old friends! What the matter? Why are the children approaching me? What a good one! Like at the sea they take photos with a monkey, so in the desert they offer to take a picture with the long-eared desert fennec fox. Apparently, we went into some kind of tourist area. I think now they’ll just start taking money from me. Too many men per square meter. And animals too. I do not want a horse. Easy! I love animals, but I do not want to ride. But the most amazing thing about this festival is that everything happens not in the community center, not on the square, not on the stage, but right in the desert. Further there is boundless Sahara. In general, the festival is a holiday of the Sahara peoples. Everyone gathers here: Tuareg people from Algeria. Berbers from Morocco. Dogon people from Mali. The Japanese … STOP! Ah, no … it didn’t seem … even the Japanese arrived! It seems to be chaos and booths at the festival. There are no schedules, nor numbers for performances – they just start and continue in the way it goes! Then the musicians came out. Now the guests from Saudi Arabia wanted to show tricks on horses. Now a military vehicle drove for no reason! Now the Bedouins staged a camel race. And now, they even decided to organize dog races. First, they release the rabbit from cage … Please, not a rabbit … And then they release hounds. The one who catches the rabbit first wins. Please, rabbit fool all of them! Come on, come on rabbit, he totally blew the dogs away! No one can catch him! The main event of the Sahara festival is a beauty contest. Not among the eastern beauties, but among … camels! Well, first you need to buy a camel. What I know about buying a camel – the main thing is the camel should be zero. No mileage – no damages, no rigid suspension, about 4×4. Or is it not about buying camels? I urgently need help. What particular camel do you want? I need some who will definitely win! This one is not bad, but it is coward. This one is still too small. This one is already a bit old. Better take this. According to Salem, camels with a large head, big lips, ong legs are considered the most attractive … And it must have a massive and jacked up chest. Well, it really looks like he just went out of the gym. Well, of course he just advertises it like that. Well, the camel is handsome, the only thing that bothers me is that all the flies are sitting on it. Maybe they’re trying to throw a wobbly. – Everyone in the city knows me and my camels! I will never throw a wobbly, I have only the best camels. – Ok, and how much does it cost? – It costs 7 thousand dinars. So, these are two and a half thousand bucks. – Ok, I’m taking it. But for a beauty contest, just a camel is not enough. You still need to fork out for an outfit – that’s another 170 bucks on top. I bought a camel – I did not buy a ride. It is a little scary to look down from here, very far from the ground. Now I understand how Alina feels in heels. Congratulations in advance on the loss. Respect to the losers. Honestly, it seems to me this one is using doping. This one has plastics. And this is not just a manner of speaking. In order to win, the owners of the camels go any length! And they can even inject collagen into camels’ lips or make nose corrections using Botox! That’s it, the competition begins. That’s it, Abu – let’s go to win. That’s it! The catwalk is over, the jury leaves to deliberate. Now we are free, that’s all. On the off-chance. On the off-chance. After all beauty contests, songs and dances comes an after party! They drive everything here, that is: Cars! ATVs! Motorbikes! No matter how many wheels, the main thing is to growl louder and raise a cloud of dust! Oh, well, these boys are driving to show off. I wonder who the owner of the turtle is. Is it yours? Cool, damn. I want a motorcycle now. Oh damn, what should I do? Oh, it was scary – Is this your husband? – Almost. He didn’t like you at once. Thanks! Now they will tabulate the results, whose camel won. I’m nervous a bit. – Abu! – Abu! Abu Guys, Abu! – Here? It is mine? – Yes! – Can I say? Many thanks to everyone who made this victory possible. First of all, to my parents: Dad, mom, Mohammed, him and of course Abu, who will share this prize with me. According to the rules of the competition, the winner is given $ 700. By local standards – this is a substantial prize! I kept the money, but returned the camel to the owner. Anyway, I rent my apartment, and the owner does not allow me to get a pet. Get up and go! – Make way! Stop! The king of the desert is coming! – Hello!
– Hello! – What are you saying?
– I’m saying hi! – Just a second.
– What is it? – Literally, I am simply filled with our first wonder of the world. – Guys, we’ll see you very soon in Benin! – Where the next wonder of the world awaits us – the Voodoo Festival! – See you! – Have you already made dolls? – Have to work.
– Have to work and poke them in the boot.